Strep is treated with antibiotics
One of the most prevalent diseases of the throat – pharyngitis, which is an inflammation of its mucosa. Often this disease occurs in adults as a normal sore throat.
Therefore, determining the correct treatment of this disease requires certain diagnosis. Pharyngitis in patients with a tickle in the throat, they feel pain, not only when swallowing, often tormented by a dry cough and fever.
Particularly difficult to tolerate this disease pregnant women. As with all disease, strep throat needs specific treatment, and this must be done necessarily on time. Quite mistakenly, the opinion of many people that in order to cure a sore throat it is sufficient to use honey, propolis and other traditional remedies.
Among the causes of pharyngitis include such factors as:
- dressed long talk time;
- impact on the throat area of low temperatures;
- eating spicy and very hot foods;
The symptoms of strep throat often and with such viral diseases such as rhinovirus, adenovirus, Epstein-Barr, etc., the treatment of which is possible only with antibiotics.
A few less common causative agents of pharyngitis are bacteria (Streptococcus, chlamydia or Mycoplasma).
I must say that not always to treat strep throat doctors prescribe antibiotics. This is because the disease in most cases develops under the influence of viruses, which antibiotics are known not to work. Therefore antibacterial drugs are appointed only for the risk of development of infectious complications.
Moreover, to accurately determine the origin of pharyngitis, and, especially, to predict the emergence of complications doctor quite difficult. After all, the signs of lesions of the mucous membrane of the throat is the same as in viral and bacterial disease. And even despite this fact, physicians are not in a hurry when the first symptoms of pharyngitis prescribe antibiotics, since their inappropriate use may negatively affect not only the microflora of the intestine and respiratory tract. Therefore, the appointment of antibacterial drugs is only possible in the presence of certain indications.
When the pharyngitis is advisable to apply antibiotics
For the prevention and prevention of complications of bacterial origin in the presence of pharyngitis, antibiotics are prescribed in the following cases:
- with the development of bacterial tonsillitis or chronic tonsillitis;
- if you have symptoms of pneumonia;
- in the case of the development of bronchitis (especially hisobstructive form);
- in the diagnosis of suppurative otitis media;
- when the spread of infection in the sinuses;
- if fever lasts more than 2 days (and possibly earlier, as considered necessary by the attending doctor);
- in the presence of subfebrile temperature persisting for more than 5-6 days;
- and in the event of a protracted course of illness (over one month);
Antibiotics for treatment of pharyngitis in adults
Antibiotics However, if necessary, antibiotic treatment is prescribed and to obtain data of the bacteriological analysis, based on data in clinical disease and epidemiology, indicating the bacterial origin of the disease.
Usually, when strep throat antibiotics penicillin group. In some cases there are oral cephalosporins (Ceftriaxone, Cefazolin). Patients allergic to β-lactams are treated with macrolide (azithromycin, erythromycin) and lincosamides (clindamycin, lincomycin) is an antibiotic.
In some cases, the acute form of pharyngitis can become chronic. This can happen:
- as a result, the use of incorrectly selected drug for the treatment of acute pharyngitis;
- for violation of patient doctor's recommendations – if you prematurely stop taking medications, intentionally reduced their daily dosage, as well as skip techniques;
- in the case of the presence of additional foci of infection.
In order to prevent the development of chronic forms of the disease only needs to follow certain rules of treatment, namely:
- be sure to make a bacteriological analysis;
- not to reduce the medication and not to cancel it when the first same of better condition;
- in the absence of the effect of applying local therapy to go for drugs with systemic action.